Thursday, February 6, 2014

Looking back

I was reminded today how difficult it was to start Fiona's care, diagnosis, and treatment. Looking back things are easier now that we know which parts of her immune system are involved, what keeps her healthy, and who to call when something goes wrong. It's amazing how time and perspective have made this seem like a normal life. There are still things that go wrong, but it's not as overwhelming as it was in the beginning.

We have to keep Fiona on Tamiflu, which tastes horrible and bitter. It's always a struggle to get her to take it. More often than not she ends up spitting it out or throwing up once she has it down. I thought I had a great idea last night, I mixed it with a teaspoon of presweetened kool-aid powder, which I don't normally let my kids have. Huge mistake! When she threw it up it was a red mess. Today I just went back to fighting to get it down. Two tricks to getting a toddler to take yucky medicine, I put one hand under her chin to make her close her mouth once the medicine is in, and I blow in her face to make her swallow. I don't like forcing her to take her medicine. If you have any better ideas, please comment below.

1 comment :

  1. Can't they put medicine flavoring in it. They have it at most pharmacies it costs a little extra but it helped Logan swallow all his yucky medicine.

    ReplyDelete