Wednesday, July 16, 2014

new treatment photos

Last week I realized that it's been a long time since I posted treatment pictures. We've added sites, and changed some supplies, so I took pictures last week.

Numbing cream with clear window dressing.

All of our supplies, infusion journal, IV 3000 window dressing, pump, hizentra bottles, kind tape, alcohol wipes, tubing, bottle spikes, gauze pads, numbing cream, and syringe.

Fiona's infusion journal. See the stickers, they come off the bottle, so we know lot numbers.

I pop the lids off the bottles and wipe with alcohol wipes.

This is the spike I put through the top of the bottle.
Spike in the bottle, it goes through the rubber seal on top.

Drawing the liquid out of the bottle. A few months ago I learned that if you pull air into the syringe and push it out before attaching the syringe to the spike it spreads the lubricant, and the plunger is easier to move.

Hizentra is really bubbly.

After I draw up the Hizentra I tap the side of the syringe to get the bubbles out.

Most of the bubbles are removed.

This is our newer tubing, with 4 tubes and needles.
Syringe full of Hizentra attached to the end of the tubing.

This tubing is longer than the high flow needle set tubing. It's easier for Fiona to move.

This is the window dressing that comes with the needle sets. I never use it. It gives Fiona rashes.

This is the window dressing that we use, IV 3000. It has tiny dots of stickiness, and doesn't give Fiona a rash.

Numbing cream has been on for 45 minutes.

I peel off the dressing.
Then wipe the cream off with a gauze pad.

You can see that her skin is lighter where the numbing cream was. The nurse told me that's how we know it worked.

Once the cream is off I wipe her skin with alcohol.

You can see the liquid in the tubing. I push the liquid close to the needle end of the tubing. If it leaks out of the needle she has a more dramatic reaction because of irritated cells in her skin.

This is what the needles look like out of the package. A clip holds the tabs in place, and a tube covers the needle.

Fiona knows what's about to happen. She's pretty worried.

This is the needle uncovered. I wasn't touching it, we have to be really careful to keep everything clean.

I pinch her skin and stick the needle in, then I hold it down and cover it with window dressing.

Sometimes she reacts to the numbing cream. This is her belly, the cream worked on the left and caused a reaction on the right.
Just after I stuck her legs. She was saying "smile" for the camera while she was crying.

She managed a smile after I stuck her belly.

All 4 needles in and taped down.

I unscrew the plunger of the syringe.

Then attach it to the pump. It twists on.

Turning on the pump, then I have to prime the pump until the plunger touches the bottom of the syringe.

Her leg 15 minutes after treatment started. Her skin turns red and swells at her infusion sites.

This is her belly 15 minutes later.

Once treatment is started she feels a little better.

No comments :

Post a Comment