Thursday, April 3, 2014


Fiona tested positive for two viruses, adenovirus and norovirus. She doesn't seem to ever get just one thing. She's had some diarrhea and stomach pain in the past few days, so they tested a stool sample yesterday. They did the same test in January, and everything was negative. When they ordered these tests I expected the same results. A new strain of norovirus is going around, and no one in the country is immune to it, so I wasn't surprised that she had it. Adenovirus is more troubling. I'll feel better when the blood test comes back.

The plan is to watch and wait. Her igg is down a little from the last test, but it's still good, over 900. We aren't going to lower her dose of hizentra as previously planned. We have to make sure she is hydrated. They are testing to see if she has adenovirus in her blood, which would change treatment to an aggressive IV medicine in the hospital. We don't know how long she will be infected. From now on when she goes to Cincinnati she will be put in isolation to prevent other patients from being infected.

We are going to put her back in isolation. We were cautiously exposing her to the world. Maybe that wasn't such a great idea. Last week I was walking through the grocery store and I had a feeling that I should restock my hospital travel bag, because she was going to get sick. I picked up some small toiletries, and really didn't think of it again until this morning when the test results came back. Christian joked that he's going to start calling me Moses.

We don't have any idea how she will respond to these viruses. We don't know how long she'll be infected or contagious. I feel a little helpless. For me that's the hardest part.

1 comment :

  1. Sorry, Hugs and prayers. Still wishing I lived closer and could be of more help.